Saturday, March 28, 2009

Best Man Speech

This is the speech I gave as the best man in my best friend's wedding:


Excuse me everyone, if I could have your attention for a moment. I'm Chuck's best man and his best friend. I'd like to take a few moments to say a few words. I promise to keep it brief because some of you have heard that I'm smart like Chuck and the longer I talk the less likely you are to believe it.

I'd like to thank Sarah's mom, Jennifer, for opening her home to us on this special occasion and for arranging such a beautiful scene for Chuck and Sarah's wedding. Everything is just gorgeous.

I'd also like to thank Chuck's mom and dad, Barbara and Eric, for the wonderful dinner last night and especially for taking on the lost cause of keeping me up to date on times, dates, and places. I even bummed a ride over with them.

Charles, how am I going to explain our friendship without revealing just how nerdy we are? I met Chuck in 8th grade at a National Academic League Match … which is like sports for nerds … due to a passing reference to Dungeons & Dragons … that I made … and he corrected me on.

Since that day, I have had the honor of Chuck's close friendship. A man who possesses an unending sense of wonder with the world. A man with an endless depth and breadth of knowledge who has never failed to open new worlds to those near him. I mean, who ever heard of quantitative psychology before meeting Chuck?

Over the years I have seen Chuck mature and set his life on a path. After high school, every time I spoke with him he had a new major and a new dream job. That changed when he decided to join the Air Force. I remember driving down the road near my house and seeing Chuck running on the sidewalk. I asked if he wanted a ride and he said no, he needed to get in shape for basic training. Keep in mind he lived about 10 miles away. That was dedication.

I see the same dedication whenever I see Chuck with Sarah. I knew something was different when Chuck came home to visit and all he wanted to do was show me pictures of cats. The next time I saw him, he couldn't stop talking about Sarah. This man was smitten. Before I ever met her I knew Sarah was someone special. She had won the heart of my best friend and changed him, not into someone different, but into someone better.

And as I look at all the friends and family gathered here today, I know that Sarah and Charles have touched many lives. These are two very special people who have come together today as bride and groom to leave today as husband and wife.

So I raise a toast to the bride and groom and I know you all share the sentiment:

My greatest wish for the two of you is that through the years your love for each other will so deepen and grow, that you will look back on this day, your wedding day, as the day you loved each other the least.

No comments: